Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A Chocolate Chip Cookie Day

When I was a little girl, my mama baked us chocolate chip cookies every time it rained.
It didn't matter whether we were at school, whether we were at home to help, or whether we made them after church.
She'd look out the window and say, "Today is a chocolate chip cookie day."
Then, magically, she'd whip out a batch of scrumptious cookies in no time.
I'm guessing she isn't the only mother who passed this tradition to her children.

Today, it rained.
I love rain.
I love how it feels on my skin, I love the smells, and I love that it is not snow.
But mostly, I love that rain means chocolate chip cookies.
[And meals like chicken and dumplings or inside out chicken pot pie like we're having tonight... but that's another recipe.]

Though I love our staple cookie recipe, today I tried a new one.
And oh my, it was some kind of heaven.
So here it is:

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Deliciousness.
[And yes, I stole this recipe from that one website.
I'm not ashamed to use the internet for baked goodness.]

1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup rolled oats (I added a little extra)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup peanut butter (either crunchy or creamy)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup honey (I added extra)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (I didn't really measure this...)
chocolate chips or chopped up chocolate bars or chocolate squares

Mix dry ingredients, set aside
Mix remaining ingredients (save chocolate) in a large bowl
Stir in dry ingredients
Fold in chocolate
Cover and put in fridge for about 30 minutes

Preheat oven to 350
Roll dough into balls


Place on greased cookie sheet
Bake for roughly 12 minutes.


DEVOUR.

And yes, I did get melted chocolate on the keyboard as I typed this up.



P.S. Don't eat the dough. It is too good to handle.
I'm serious.