Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Introduction of Women Who Love

Before I say anything else, I have to say this:
After today, I have a whole new level of respect for fashion bloggers. I don't read any full-fledged fashion blogs, just a few life blogs with fashion mixed in, but after finding a location and having Mr. C. take my photographs for ten minutes today, I have to ask this: Really? How do you do this every day? Never mind that my hair was still wet from my noon-o-clock shower when we took these, but there's no way I'd ever be patient enough to be a fashion blogger. So you keep doing your thing, fashion crazies. Y'all are way more dedicated to blogging than I will ever be!

And on to what I'm really posting about today!
Last week, I announced that I was about to start work on a series called Women Who Love and today, I'm going to show you a sample of what it is I'll be doing. I've already started work on this series, but instead of pulling photographs from one of the completed sessions, I picked up a few books (one that matched my outfit and a few others that are my favorite), grabbed hold of the hubbykins, went downtown, and had a quick photo session. I threw this all together very quickly, but I wanted an example to show anyone who's interested in participating in this series, so here goes!

Oh, and please keep in mind that this is a rough example of what I'll be doing, not a polished finished product. Also, I am not even trying to hide my geekiness in my answers. Consider yourself warned.

------

Women Who Love: Lissa Chandler

Lissa

Age: 24.
Love: Reading.

Lissa

How long have you been reading- for fun, not because your parents made you?
I learned to read fairly young. Not as in child prodigy young, but by the time I was six, I was reading chapter books by myself and during reading time at school, I pretty much got to hang out by myself. By the time I was seven or eight, I read everything I could get my hands on, which was mostly the Babysitters Club, Goosebumps, an anthology of the Grimms' Fairy Tales, Little House on the Prairie, and random ghost stories (I grew up with two older brothers!). Then, at nine or ten, I came across an LDS historical fiction series called the Work and the Glory and I devoured all of the books that were out in a week. I'm not sure if it gave me a sense of sophistication because it was based on history or because the books were huge, but after that, large books didn't intimidate me anymore and off I went to bigger and better things!

How has reading made a positive impact in your life?

Lissa

How hasn't reading made a positive impact in my life? I am 24 years old and for the past fifteen years, I've read an average of fifty books a year. I'm not saying that all the books I read are classics or life changing books, but I love reading about situations I'll never experience on my own and even more than that, I love reading from someone's perspective that I don't share. A lot of readers get riled up when their favorite character does something that they wouldn't do- whether it be morally or something a little crazy- but I love it! I love getting completely lost in a book and cheering my favorite characters on towards happiness. It gives me a little more faith in humanity and helps me see things in a way I never would have seen them if I didn't read. What's not to like about that?

What's your favorite memory of reading?

Lissa

If I'd been asked that question a year ago, my answer would be completely different than it is now but here it is: My favorite memory of reading is the first time that Max saw the book The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog. He's been looking at the pigeon books for his entire life and he still squeals when we pull one of the shelf. I love it. I guess we're just big Mo Willems fans at the Chandler household.

What's your favorite book? Favorite genre?
My favorite book always has been and will always be Gone with the Wind.

Lissa
Lissa

Scarlett's a brat but she's got survival instincts I would kill for, not to mention some of the same "I'll think about that tomorrow" traits that I have myself. As for genres, I'm a little different than most people because I read everything but intense science fiction. If I had to pick, though, my favorite genre would be fairy tales and fairy tale retellings. I've been drafting new fairy tales and retellings of fairy tales since I was nine or ten and one day, that's the field I hope to be published in. I also love Young Adult fiction, memoirs, biographies, and historical fiction.

Do you have any advice for women who want to read more, but can't seem to find the time?
My advice for this is my advice for everything time related: No matter how busy you are, you can make the time for anything you're willing to make time for.

Lissa

In one sentence, what are your feelings on reading?
Reading is the perfect escape when there's nowhere to escape to.

Lissa
Lissa

------

And there you have it! Like I said, I've already started work on the series and depending on how much revamping work I get done on my website (in preparation for a move we have not yet completely decided on) this week, I'll start posting them regularly next week or the week after.

If you'd like to be a participant, don't hesitate in contacting me here.
I'm available in Kansas City for the next two weeks, then I'll be available for the end of May and all of June in the Salt Lake area and after that? I'll either be in Springfield, Missouri or Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Which y'know, means that I may just have my southern accent back this time next year and the "y'alls" that come out of my mouth won't sound so Yankeefied.