Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stormin'

Tornadoes are tricky beasts.
When we were little, whenever there was a tornado warning, we'd huddle in the basement, put on Twister, and fall asleep. Kinda morbid, right? My brother Nathan wanted to be a storm chaser, though, and Twister was as close it was gonna get for him.

A few days after the Joplin Tornado hit, Lee's Summit (where my parents live), had a tornado warning. If you're from the Midwest, you already know that tornado warnings usually lead to tornado nothings, but on this particular day, I put Max downstairs with my sister and went outside to investigate.

And it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen.
It wasn't raining and it wasn't windy. Aside from the sirens, everything was completely still.

Storm

My mom and I kept looking at the sky across from our house, completely fascinated, even though we knew there had been a tornado forming less than two miles away. We couldn't stop talking about how it was all so erie.

Storm

Which is when we looked up and saw freaky looking clouds churning over our house and half of our neighborhood.

Nope. I didn't take a picture.

I ran my booty straight down into the basement, we turned on the weather channel, and hoped the boys weren't freaking out of school. (They weren't - but they did have to sit under their desks for an hour and a half!) In the end, the tornadoes left us alone and everyone relaxed.

Storm

Well, everyone except for Maxwell.

Storm

He was busy partying with Cheetos and watching Care Bears the entire time, so the only clouds he was concerned with were heart shaped ones in technicolor.