Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cookies Before Bedtime

Cookie Nights

One of our favorite things (if not the favorite thing) about living in Fayetteville is that, on random weekday nights, we end up seeing family members. I talk about everything with Joy, Andrew and Nathan play with the kids or play the Wii and swap their life stories, and the children? They run around screaming and laughing, asking for bubbles and for someone to read them stories if they're not already busy stealing toys out of each other's hands. And on nights like tonight, they get drunk off cookies, play with the letters on the fridge, and find pillows to lay on when no one is looking.

Living by family is a kind of magic.

I'm not sure how long we'll live by family. Maybe we always will, but it's just as possible that, two years from now, we'll leave Arkansas and never live five minutes away from family again. I lived away from family for nearly six years so I know it's something I can handle, but I love watching my baby play with his cousins and I love planning spontaneous family dinners and, most of all, I love how loud everything gets when everyone's together. We've only been here a few weeks, but we'll be soaking up all the family time we can get the next couple of years. Having family near is a new normal for us and, I'll be honest, we're not having a hard time adjusting.