Monday, July 18, 2011

Women Who Love: Becca

I am so excited to share this next installment of Women Who Love with y'all!

Becca is one of the sweetest girls I have ever met. Up until we moved, she'd often watch Max and he LOVED her. So much that he would start beaming whenever he saw her and that Mr. C. started referring to her as "Max's girlfriend". What can I say? Maxwell knows what (and who!) he likes! Anyway, besides being a fabulous Max-Watcher, Becca is an amazing violinist and, in May, we took these photographs in one of Provo's orchards. I love 'em!

And since I've already talked too much... here's what Becca had to say about violin!

-------

Name: Bonne Rebecca Kmetzsch Lewis
(But mostly I go by Rebecca/Becca. I'm also not willing to part with my awesome maiden name.)

Becca

Age: 22
Love: Violin

Becca
Becca

How long have you been playing violin?
Almost 14 years. I started taking lessons the summer before my 8th birthday.

BeccaBecca
Becca

How has playing violin made a positive impact on the rest of your life?
Violin has helped me learn self-discipline. I'm not the best at using my time wisely and prioritizing my time, but when I'm actively playing my violin, I'm always better. Being able to push myself to improve at the violin has also made a huge impact on the rest of my life. It can be hard on little girls (and big girls too) to be able to see what they are exactly capable of and the many things that they can accomplish. While I wasn't the prettiest, skinniest, or the best dancer growing up, I knew that a little hard work could go a long way. I had seen myself improving in small ways, sometimes very slowly, but I was able to see how much hard work can really pay off! The violin has helped me have a small sense of control in my life. If I can't control everything in my life, at least I have control over my hands, fingers, and my violin. On hard days, playing my violin always helps me feel in control, and happy!

Becca
Becca
Becca

How has it given you confidence?
Learning to work hard at something gave me added confidence. I practiced every day and could hear myself improving over time. I grew up learning the violin alongside my two beautiful cousins and one of my best friends. We played together all the time and while there was a lot of competition between us, we all grew to be more confident. Feeling a strong sense of accomplishment also contributed to my confidence. I knew that I could succeed when I worked hard and that I was capable of doing difficult things.

Becca
Becca

What's your memory of teaching violin?
I love teaching the violin. I'm just getting started and only have two adorable students, but I've really grown to love it. My favorite part of teaching is watching my student's faces light up when they play a part correctly for the first time. It is so fun to help my students learn a new talent, and gain more confidence in their abilities.

Becca
Becca

Do you have any advice for women interested in picking up any instrument, violin especially?
My advice is to not give up. No one sounds great on any instrument the first time they touch it. Learning an instrument takes crazy amounts of patience and hard work. Just don't get too frustrated when things get difficult. Keep pushing through the tough stuff. It will be so worth it! (That's kind of life advice, too... but it applies for both!) Also, be sure to find a teacher that you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel like you can ask your teacher questions, he or she is probably not the best fit for you. Make sure you find a teacher who wants to help you and wants to see you succeed! Remember that teachers are supposed to push their students. Just be sure that your teacher is patient and kind as well as encouraging!

Becca
Becca

In one sentence, what are your feelings on playing violin?
Playing the violin helps me feel accomplished, gives me added confidence, and helps me share my talents and blessings with so many around me!

Becca
Becca
Becca

-------

If you live in within two hours of Fayetteville (or in the Greater Kansas City area) and you'd like to participate in this series, contact me here.