Monday, August 15, 2011

Women Who Love: Brittanee!

Get ready for a picture overload because I am in love with these photographs.
In. Love. So much that I will tell you more about Brittanee after you have feasted your eyes out.

-------

Name: Brittanee Newkirk

Britt

Age: 22
Love: Rodeo

BrittBritt

How long have you been doing rodeo?
I've been riding before I could walk, my mom rode with me when I was younger. I started really getting into rodeo when I was about 12 years old, I was never interested in the beginning because I had a mean PONY that would buck me off. Typical pony!

Britt
Britt

One day I pointed to my mom's horse (the fastest one we had) and asked if I could ride "that one". Then it began my love of RODEO.

Britt
Britt
Britt

What are your events in Rodeo?
I'm a barrel racer right now! I used to queen, goat tie, breakaway rope, and pole bend!

Britt
Britt

When did you learn to ride a horse?
I don't know that I was ever taught to "really" ride. My mom rode horses and did Rodeo her whole life so it is just in the family! Get on, if you get bucked off get right back on.

Britt
Britt

How has it given you confidence?
In the sport of Rodeo people love it! Thousands of people come to watch, to me the arena is a stage, I know that sounds cheesy but the lights are so bright the nerves never really go away! When I was a senior in High School, I was the Utah State Rodeo Secretary for Utah, I had to travel around to different meetings and speak on my beliefs in Rodeo, that made me gain a voice really.

Britt

What's your favorite memory concerning Rodeo?
I don't know that I have a favorite memory in Rodeo specifically, there are so many good times in Rodeo, from getting lost 8 hours out of my way with great friends, spending time with my supportive family hauling me to many states or having a huge win at a rodeo.

Britt
Britt

It's all been so fun and I have great memories from it all.

Do you have any advice for women interested in learning more about horses or Rodeo?
Ahh. It's hard to give advice here! I've done it for so long it's habit. I'd say for those interested it takes time, money, and effort. I love just jumping on my horse and clearing my head in the mountains, it's a great stress reliever.

Britt
Britt

In one sentence, how do you feel about Rodeo?
Rodeo isn't just a sport, it's a way of life.

Britt

------

Brittanee is such a gifted, beautiful girl with so much insight into something I know nothing about. I loved getting to know her, photographing her, and hearing her perspective about Rodeo. One of my favorite things about this series is how much passion each of the women I've worked with have in their specific fields. I love being able to see into their worlds, even if it's just for an afternoon and a batch of edits. This is seriously becoming one of my favorite sessions to hold.

Thanks, Brittanee, for making me get out of my comfort zone and letting me photograph you!

And, as always, if you're near the Fayetteville or Kansas City area, contact me here if you'd like to participate in this series. I'd love for you to be part of this! I try to book a session every week or two and post them on this blog every two weeks. The sessions are free and, in return for participating and filling out a questionnaire, you receive 25 edited photographs. So don't be shy! I'd love to meet you!