Monday, August 29, 2011

Women Who Love: Katie

On Thursday, y'all briefly met Katie and, today, I am so excited to show you her installment of Women Who Love!

-----

Name: Katie Jepson

Katie

Age: 23
Love: Pottery

Katie

How long have you been making pottery?
7 years

Katie
Katie

What are your favorite items to make?
Lately I've enjoyed making bowls but I love thin neck vases.

Katie
Katie

Why did you decide you wanted to learn about pottery?
My older sister did ceramics in high school and she made some really cool stuff. I knew I could do it and who doesn't like playing with clay at school? I took the class and was awful at pottery! I still have some of my first pieces and they are amateur at best. But the next year I tried the intermediate class and did much better. Since then I have tried to take as many classes as I can.

Katie

How has it given you confidence?
It has shown me that I can do something with my hands. I'm not a super creative person but pottery to me is more like problem solving. I have a piece of clay that wants to be something beautiful. My job is to help the clay discover itself. Sometimes that is more difficult than other times but to have worked with the clay in such a time intensive process brings so much joy in the end. To have something that you made from scratch is such an indescribably feeling and you gain so much. Patience, you betcha. Satisfaction, of course. Confidence, definitely!

Katie
Katie

What's your favorite memory concerning pottery?
I was in my beginning pottery class around the middle os the semester. I had just graduated from high school and had made a mug that I was really proud of (which my mom still uses!) and the "master teacher" walked through the classroom, saw my mug, and told me to sign up for his intermediate class, which was a huge compliment! He helped me improve so much.

Katie

Has creating pottery influenced the way you see the world around you?
Pottery is timeless. It will be around longer than we will! These pieces of art are permanent expressions of ourselves, our culture, and our lives. It is an art that has been handed down throughout generations that will continue on through the future. We are using some of the same techniques that were used to make some of the first pottery pieces which connects us to other generations.

Katie
Katie

Do you have any advice for women interested in learning more about pottery?
Do it! There are often beginning pottery classes at Community centers or local colleges. Working with clay can be frustrating at times but you learn patieence that you can apply to other aspects of your life. And if not, you can always take out your frustrations on the clay. But even just going to a studio and painting pottery can help get those creative juices flowing and bring the same sense of accomplishment as you walk out with something you made.

Katie

In one sentence, how do you feel about pottery?
As neat as I am most days, sometimes it's fun to let go and play in the mud!

-----

Thanks, Katie! My only experience with pottery (besides Color Me Mine which doesn't count!) happened in the fourth grade when my art class made shoes. My nike-inspired black shoe is still at my mom's house, lined up neatly with the shoes my brothers made when they were in elementary school. So! I loved watching Katie work with clay when we had this shoot. It was extremely calming and peaceful and I had so much fun!

P.S. This was the last photo session I held in Utah (!!!).
So, from here on out, everything you see will be much more local to where I'm livin' now!

Like Lissa Clair Photos on Facebook here.