Tuesday, September 06, 2011

One Photo Three Ways (and Sasquatch! and Lake Monsters!)

I grew up with a family chock full of monster tales.
Sharks! Gators! Bigfoot! Lettie the Loch Ness Monster!

Everyone in my family has met, known, or heard of someone who saw something somewhere in the depths of the ocean, the banks of the lake, and the darkest part of the forest. This made for riveting campfire stories when I was a child, especially when all of my cousins, aunts, and uncles gathered at the beach. We'd talk about that time my grandfather was floundering and, as he walked waist deep in the ocean, he felt a tug on the line attached to his belt and saw a shark eating the fish strung behind him. Or my dad would tell us about that time that he went camping in the Ozarks for two weeks and heard something in the woods. Something that wasn't a human but wasn't a bear but wasn't a deer, either!

And my brother? He would often come home from school and tell us that, on his way home, he'd come across three water moccasins in the stream he had to cross and that he took all of them down single handedly even though he was close to the edge of death just by being within fifteen feet of them.

Basically, my sister and I should be scared of every forest, lake, ocean, and stream in existence.

One
Two
Three

This should be the point where I tell you that I grew out of monster stories once I became an adult, but as I'm typing this, Mr. C. is watching a show about mythical monsters after deciding against watching "Is It Real?" on Netflix. And I just read a Wikipedia article about the Loch Ness Monster. And after I finish writing this post, I'll probably tell Mr. C. about how I'm really bummed that the Loch Ness Monster may have just been some form of a plesiosaur and that, my friends, is a bummer.

P.S. if you haven't watched "Is It Real?" on Netflix, you should start with the one about Bigfoot.
It's a good'un. Honestly, I don't think I've laughed that hard since watching Eclipse (The Twilight one).