Thursday, October 06, 2011

Krispy Kreme

In the early nineties, Krispy Kreme thrived on my family's complete and total loyalty. My aunt knew some of the owners and my uncle went in so frequently that, when certain types of doughnuts were discontinued, they continued to bake them for him. Back then, the Krispy Kremes in Mobile were run by little old ladies with white hair and southern accents and the Krispy Kreme on Airport Boulevard was one of the best treats of my five-year-old life - even though I was only allowed two doughnuts every two months or so (from my parents. My uncle was another story).

And so! When we visited Mobile a few weeks ago, my mother was shocked and appalled when I told her that Maxwell had never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut. To be honest, he's only had doughnuts twice and they were from a quaint little bakery in Provo that had vines growing up the side. And to my family- the family who grew up with treats of Krispy Kreme doughnuts when we had done all our chores and been completely silent when we were told to? I wasn't just cheating my baby out of a doughnut- I was cheating him out of an experience!

Krispy Kreme
Krispy Kreme

I think he agreed.

Krispy Kreme

As did his cousin, Cole.

Krispy Kreme

And we did, too.

Krispy Kreme
Krispy Kreme
Krispy Kreme

What can I say? We love our sugar lovin' boy!
(And Krispy Kreme, too.)