Wednesday, November 09, 2011

: 868 :

868

This morning, when Cole came to play, Max's room turned into a fortress! We pulled out the trundle and set up a tunnel from the toilet to the little metal frame holding the little twin mattress off the floor. Max and Cole sped through the tunnel like little fire demons- back and forth and back and forth and back and forth until they were collapsed at one end, laughing and hugging each other with pure delight until Napoleon honed in on them and their blonde locks.

And then?! And then! Cole would run up and wrap his skinny baby arms around my neck, press his cherry lips right next to mine, squeal, and run off to my very own little toddler. Yes! The one across the room making high pitched exclamations over talking toys and his Batman blanket, wriggling with anticipation for the next "Mine!" battle with his cousin. And then?! And then! Max would catch my eye and his toothy, enormous smile made my heart melt like butter every time. I love him and the way his eyes crinkle when he laughs.

Later, after Cole left and Mr. C. went to class, we went to the store and there, in the middle of a large, crowded Wal-Mart, right next to the meat and cheese, Max screamed every time my hand touched his shopping cart. "Mine!" each little scream taunted me. "Mine!" his baby voice said to me, even if it only sounded like scratches and irritated baby noises to all other grocery-lovin' customers. I kept pushing the cart anyway, pushing Maxwell near tears for five minutes at a time. But! When we got to the parking lot, I let go of the shopping cart and let him feel like he was flying away from me, even though he was less than four inches away from me- and in that moment? I showed him how to raise his hands to the air and he looked at me, squealed, and laughed until we reached the car.

And that, my friends, is what motherhood is all about.