Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Macro Lens

First Macro Shot
First Macro Shot
First Macro Shot
First Macro Shot

For Christmas this year, my sweet little business (ha!) gifted me with a macro lens. I never planned on being a working mom but, earlier this year, I decided to work for the next five years full time and full force until Andrew finishes school and snags the kind of job he'd like to keep for a while (read: a professor). I'm not sure what will happen after those five years are up, but I'll think about that four years and ten months from now. Anyway! Because I'll be working for quite a while, I also decided to step it up and start shooting weddings and outfit myself with the best equipment possible.

It's funny. I remember when Andrew and I bought my 40d right after we got married and I tossed and turned for nights wondering if I should drop eight hundred dollars on a refurbished camera body. And then I remember feeling completely flustered and upside down when we bought three lenses that were a hundred bucks a pop. Which is funny because, nowadays, I have an equipment plan for the next three years and it's so hefty that it makes my head swirl, but in a good, determined kind of way. Being self employed is pricey, but the results are ridiculously fulfilling. I love it.

Which is why, earlier this week, I couldn't help but pick up one of the less expensive lenses on my list when I saw how far it had been discounted online. To be truthful, I've never been extremely interested in typical macro photography (read: insects), but I'm really excited about this lens. I love lenses that push you in different directions and I can't wait to use this on all kinds of little details.

PS. The ring above is my engagement ring and the teacup was my Grandmother's.