Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Wednesday Afternoon. And Cookies.

Our scanner has been broken for, like, a year and a half, so these photographs look nothing like the instant photos sitting next to my keyboard since they were copied via my phone camera. But! I'm okay with that.

Welcome to roughly seven minutes of our Wednesday afternoon:

Afternoon
Afternoon
Afternoon
Afternoon
Afternoon

Andrew gets off work at one on Wednesdays for class but the past few weeks one of his classes hasn't been held so he's been "studying" which, more often than not, means we go swimming or watch a movie or go eat frozen yogurt for lunch. It's our mid-week treat and we love it.

Anyway, during our mid-week treat today, I had to make cookies for Andrew's class (it was mandatory for their last day and I won him a free book so, whatev. No big.) and for the next two hours, Max and I kept fighting. Yes. You can fight with a toddler. It's not pretty. My babe is the most stubborn person I have ever met and, when I give into him, it just gets worse. And so! We fought about cookies off and on all afternoon, even when his dad had left for school.

Just for the records, our fights go like this:

Max: "Mama! Cookie?"
Me: "Not right now."
Max: "Mama! Cookie?! Mama!"
Me: "Nope."
Max: "COOKIE!"
Me: "No."

Then Max runs to the counter, stands on the tips his tippy toes, and tries to, y'know, steal a cookie.

Me: "No. Sir." (said while leading him a way from the counter)
Max: SOB (the crying kind, not the name calling kind).
Me: "We can't have cookies right now. You've already had enough cookies today."
Max (crying): "Cooooookieeeee."

And then I either ignore him or hold him until he calms down and all his tears dry up. But then! Without fail, after his voice has returned to normal and he has weaseled himself up into my lap as we share a blanket while I'm giving him a consolation prize of twenty-one blissful minutes of Yo Gabba Gabba, he turns around, looks me straight in the eye and says, "Cookie?"

Welcome to my life. I wouldn't want it to be any other way.