Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Max and Henry and Parenthood, Too. So Basically Our Family.

Lately, my toes have been wiggling with excitement that I'm about to be the mom to children- the plural version, not the singular version. I'm going to have two little boys who, for the rest of my life, will be mine. Regardless of what happens, I will be their mom and they will be my sons. It is so exciting!

huck-2

Little Huckleberry is already so loved by our small family. We have 15,000 different nicknames for him already- ranging from basic ones like Huck to stretchy ones like Indiana Jones- and Andrew and I like to stay up late talking about what we think he'll look like or what his personality will be or how on earth we are going to parent two separate individuals for the rest of our lives. I love this stage because everything feels somewhat comfortable but also refreshingly new. Part of me is a little sad that my one-on-one time with Max is limited but I love saying "Max and Henry" together and I love planning what we'll do next summer with two little ones and I love thinking about how, in sixteen years, Maxwell will be driving Henry to school every morning, bickering about what music they should listen to. In some ways, I want Henry to be a little carbon copy of Max, but in just as many ways, I want him to be the exact opposite of Max. I am so excited for them to grow up together. I'm so excited to find out what all is in store for our family since, right now, Andrew and I have absolutely no idea how many children we'll be able to have or where we'll end up living or anything else. All we know is now and I just really, really love that. That the world is so open to us and that we can mold our lives however we want.

Maybe Henry and Max will be our only children. Maybe we'll be able to squeeze in a Forrest and a Penelope and an Olive, too. Maybe we'll live in Alaska or maybe we'll never leave the South. Maybe we'll end up back in Utah. Maybe I'll always work. Maybe I'll quit working next year. Maybe Andrew will be the next David McCullough and write bestselling history books during his off season as a professor. Maybe we'll rent homes for the next ten years. Maybe we'll be a one-car family for the next fifteen years and maybe I'll agree to letting Andrew buy a motorcycle once his scooter dies. There are so many "maybes" right now and I love that they are the good kind, not the worrisome kind.

I am so happy that we decided to start our family young. I'm so glad we married each other at the age we did, young as we were. I feel like having kids relatively young but not extremely young (read: twenty-three) let us experience life before parenthood but also gave us a huge array of possibilities for our future. And I am so, so happy that we will have our two boys tagging along with us for the next long while. We are going to have so much fun!