Thursday, August 30, 2012

(Nearly) Two Months of Two.

photo-125

It's probably because Max won't be my only child in a month, but lately I keep seeing his baby profile in his toddler profile and I can't believe how his skinny toddler legs have emerged from his rubber-band legs that he sported for a year. And, today, when he was playing with bubbles in the tub, I thought about how I really don't know anything about his age yet since he's only been two for two months and isn't even two-and-a-half. He's just two months into two. But! Then I realized that a lot of things can happen in two months: I was engaged to Andrew less than two months after our first conversation and, if love can happen that quickly then, well, a lot of things can happen in that time frame.

So! What I know about two so far is this: A few minutes ago, Maxwell came to give me a good night kiss and, when his mouth touched mine, I tasted chocolate and we had this exchange:

Me: "Where'd you get that?"
Max grins, looks up at me, and bolts into his room.

And that, for me with my first little babe, is what the age of two is all about: sweet little moments, total mischief, and a whole lot of chaos. Maxwell is full of kisses and snuggles and unprompted "I love you, Mama!"s and he's not afraid to push chairs against counters to scale the kitchen cabinets to find his favorite candy and he is constantly on the move. He runs, he jumps, he dances, and he pulls us right along with him. And right now, that is just what I need.